"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Chinese philosopher Laozi

Monday, April 4, 2011

The Chinese Wedding...A 10 Course Meal



Last night D and I attended out first official Chinese Wedding Banquet. When I told people I would be attending this event, friends gave me some advice.

Those who didn't know my eating habits told me to:
1. Wear a dress with an elastic band
2. Skip lunch
3. Bring home my leftovers!

Those who knew my eating habits told me to:
1. Eat dinner before I went to the celebration

When we arrived at the hotel check in, we didn't even have to say our names. "Welcome Mr and Mrs. Fishman" the lady behind the table announced. I guess it wasn't hard to pick me out of the 400 guests who were attending the dinner celebration, since I was the only Caucasian female there.

We walked in to the Lego themed room which was filled with large round tables. There were large screens on every wall of the room flashing photos of the bride and groom. We had entered the dining room of the King and Queen.



When we reached our table, I took a quick glace at the menu. We really were going to be served 10 courses! When I eat out at a restaurant, I can usually only eat half my main and a little dessert. When I do start with an appetizer I usually complain I'm full before my main course even appears in front of me. How was I going to eat 10 courses?

I know most of you are thinking, Marisa won't eat half of the things on that menu. True True. But I must say I had to take each dish from the Lazy Susan in front of me so most things did make it to my place mat...or at least into D's dish. The lady sitting across the table from me was watching me and laughing at my every move. I kept sneaking things onto D's plate. One of my dumplings accidentally popped into D's bowl and then onto the table. D put it back in his bowl. The lady was laughing and explaining what had happened in Chinese to the other guests at the table. At least we provided good entertainment!


Everyone tells me that Shark Fin Soup is a must at a Chinese Wedding, so I got the courage to try a few sips. It actually tasted pretty good, in a sharky kind of way.
By the time dessert rolled around, I had my fair share of traditional Chinese cuisine. Then my hot sweetened red rice and sweet corn cream arrived so I just had to have a few sips. It was actually quite good although a piece of chocolate cake would win out any day.


Overall, our first Chinese Wedding banquet was a great experience. We left with full stomachs and doggie bags of oranges and chocolates. The bride and groom had several outfit changes during the course of the night. We too were ready to change...into something with a little more breathing room!

3 comments:

  1. It was so adventurous of your to try so many new foodies!! How was the aftermath?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like fun and you were a good sport when people laughed when you passed food onto D. How did you know the bride and/or groom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. id just like to point out that you hyper focused on the food, BUT ONLY WROTE ONE SENTENCE ON THE LEGO WEDDING.

    ReplyDelete