"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Chinese philosopher Laozi

Sunday, August 14, 2011

I heart Virgin Atlantic


On a recent trip to London, D and I flew on Virgin Atlantic for the first time. It was really quite an experience! Since the flight from Hong Kong to London was an overnight one (12 hours!), each passenger (in Upper Class) was given a pajama set to change into. This set wasn't one of those stiff ones, made out of cheap material. It was a nice, soft, black top with matching bottoms that were actually quite comfy.

The flight was smooth and I actually slept 6 hours which is a record amount of sleep for me on an airplane. Is that why I like Virgin Atlantic so much? That's only half of the reason.

On our way back to Hong Kong, we flew from Copenhagen via London and had a 10 hour layover! I thought, "What were we going to do in the Heathrow Airport for 10 hours?" There is only so much shopping we can do! (I did manage to buy myself an extremely nice birthday present!)

Thankfully we were invited to spend the day at the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Lounge. We had heard that this was one of the nicest airport lounges in the world. I must say, it lived up to our expectations.

When we entered the lounge, we were given a tour by the friendly concierge. The lounge was huge! It had several different sitting rooms and places to eat! We found a seat and visited the on site Delicatessen for some lunch.


As you know. I'm a very picky eater, but they had such a huge selection. They served everything from salads to sandwiches to fine cheeses and meats to sushi!


The well stocked bar provided delicious cocktails for D and mocktails for me!

After we finished lunch, it was time for some pampering. I headed straight over to the salon to book some complimentary beauty appointments.

While D had a relaxing head, neck, and shoulder massage.....



I got my hair cut!


After our 'spa' treatments, we decided to kick back and take our shoes off...literally. D had his shoes polished by the on site shoe shiner and they came back looking better than ever!

Time for High Tea! Scones with Strawberry jam and clotted cream! YUM!


I spent some time wandering through the game rooms, the multimedia rooms and libraries.


Before I knew it, it was time for dinner! There was an extensive menu but the burgers being brought out to other passengers really seemed to tickle our fancy.




Even though I beyond stuffed, I couldn't pass up a trip to the candy bar!

I must say, it was an eventful day! The next time I'm in London, I might just spend a day "hanging" out at the airport!


3 comments:

  1. It's nice of you to let poor D spend the day with you in the lounge since he was riding in the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean Dan sat in coach? You are one lucky lady! Although I will say Steve would do the same thing, so I guess I'm lucky too! I've never traveled like that though or visited a lounge like that-unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to believe the differences in levels of travel. Sounds like you lived the life during that layover, you lucky ducks!

    ReplyDelete