"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Chinese philosopher Laozi

Friday, September 24, 2010

Fly me to the moon




Thanks to my days as a teacher in Chinatown, I'm already an expert when it comes to the the Mid Autumn Festival, the holiday people all over Hong Kong celebrated for the past 2 days. Every year my students would bring me in a variety of moon cakes, the traditional food of this festival. (My brother Jason wrote his own blog on this subject matter so there is no need to go into any kind of explanation here...see earlier blog comments) The moon cakes were so dense that I could split one into 28 pieces and feed the entire class!

We used to have to test our students' reading levels with a program that was created from Teachers College at Columbia University. In order for the students to pass the I level, they would have to read a book about the Mid Autumn Festival in Vietnam. After reading this book almost 28 times a year, I became very familiar with the meaning behind this holiday.

D and I sat in our living room on the eve of Mid Autumn Festival gazing up into the sky hoping to get a glimpse of the full moon. Unfortunately, because of the typhoon like weather we have been experiencing all week, the only moon we saw was that of the baby in the building across the street. (We can see a lot more going on then we want to!)

D had the day off from work yesterday for the holiday so we strolled through town admiring all the different colored lanterns that soared through the sky. Our apartment building decorated for the festival as well. They even had a special lantern for us!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE THAT LANTERN. HOW CAN I GET ONE?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you dont like the red fish lantern, or blue car lantern, dont worry. you can bang on a pan and all the neighbors will come and watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I see someone else also memorized that book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hiii just catching up on your blogs... thought the special latern would be a cat?! heeee heeee

    ReplyDelete