"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Chinese philosopher Laozi

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sugar High Tea at the Hyatt


I've been told you are not an official Hong Kong Tai Tai until you've attended a fancy high tea. I guess I can now say I am an official Tai Tai (although I didn't actually drink the tea).

I've always thought of tea time as a social gathering of older woman sipping flavored tea out of fine china and eating English biscuits and scones. This was not the case at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. This tea time was literally fit for the Queen.

In Hong Kong, "tea" consists of a light meal served in middle afternoon from 2pm to 6pm. No one told me that "high tea" in Asian countries usually replaces lunch. If I had known there would be such a variety of food, I wouldn't have eaten lunch beforehand...or breakfast for that matter. The hotel had everything from your typical finger sandwiches and salads to exotic puddings and cupcakes sporting all colors of the rainbow. They even had a waffle with ice cream station that included a bar where could choose your own topping.



As we chatted and stuffed ourselves with an assortment of goodies, live music comprising of a three piece orchestra played in the background.



Although I was supposed to meet D for dinner afterward, I had fallen too deeply into a sugar coma to possibly eat anything else. This experience has left me with a completely different feeling toward High Tea...a sugar high that may take me a long time to come down from.

10 comments:

  1. I think you should bring this occasion back to America with you. Slash what did you wear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tai tai is usually used to address older, married moms! Get out of your sugar coma and don't be a Tai Tai!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be our first stop when we visit in April!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I look at the picture it makes my mouth water. What fun and alot of calories...off to the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're big fans of Sugar highs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moms know Best.

    I'm with Laura..reservations please.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, Marisa!!! You have to venture over to the Peninsula for high tea! You ain't had tea until you've had 'em scones with clotted cream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't listen to Judy. My dream is to become a HK Tai Tai. There's a reason why Derek Lam's main market are the HK Tai Tai's. They're fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everyone and their comments!!!

    ReplyDelete