"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Chinese philosopher Laozi

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Rabbit is almost here!


Chinese New Year is right around the corner. This is the year of the Rabbit. The entire city is preparing for the big week of festivities. Red lanterns are being hung, lucky red envelopes are being bought, and lion dances are being rehearsed.




For me, getting ready for the New Year is simple. All I have to do is reach into my box of decorations my students from Chinatown have given me throughout the past 6 years! I have everything from paper dragons to signs that say 恭禧發財 (Gung Hay Fat Choy) Happy Chinese New Year!



My brother and sister-in-law happen to be visiting me for the next two weeks and the timing couldn't be more perfect. My brother loves to say Gung Hay Fat Choy to me every time we Skype. Now he can walk around town saying it to all the locals he meets.

On Monday, I went to the bank to get my Lai See (lucky money) to give out during the New Year. I will place the freshly printed money in red envelopes. The color red is a lucky one and is said to ward off evil spirits.

I have to carefully plan out how much money I will put in each envelope. The envelopes are for people I want to thank for helping me throughout the year (doormen, hair stylist, letter carrier, cleaning helpers, etc.) I was told that the amount of money in each envelope should end with an even digit because odd-numbered money gifts can be associated with funerals. I also have to make sure that the number four does not appear in the amount. The pronunciation of the word "four"in Chinese sounds like the word "death," and many superstitious people believe it will bring them bad luck. Floor 13 of a building in the states is like floor 4 here in Hong Kong...they both don't exist.

Since my number skills haven't gotten any better in the past 6 months, I better leave the money sorting to D. I wouldn't want the year of the Rabbit to be an unlucky one for anyone!

7 comments:

  1. Gung Hay Fat Choy. Don't forget to Show Me The Lucky Money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marisa, Don't forget your special sweet aunt Sue when you pass out those red envelopes for the Chinese New Year! Have a great time with Jason and Kim and don't eat fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rabbits! This could be my year. Say hi to Jason and Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you dont need to give it to your brother. married people dont get it anymore. im not married, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your visit with Jason and Kim. Murray and I are on our way to Florida and drove through small Appalacian towns: what an eyeopener!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are ready to write your ALL ABOUT book(:

    ReplyDelete