"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Chinese philosopher Laozi

Thursday, July 1, 2010

As simple as a bag of fancy chips


Crunch, Crunch, Crunch.

At the end of each year, we take a vote on the type of class party the students would like. We make a huge list on the front board with everything ranging from Ice cream party to McDonalds party to Noodle and Dumpling party. Usually the class has earned this party so money is no object.

This is a very serious matter. First, the students vote on their top three choices. Then, the students close their eyes and raise their hands when they hear the choice that they would like to vote on. I'm really not sure what the purpose of any of this voting is since EVERY year the class always chooses a Chip party! (the easiest and cheapest party for me!)

This isn't your typical potato chip and pretzel party. This is a full out chip extravaganza! We have every type of chip you could ever think of. Honey BBQ Cheese Doodles, Onion Rings, Pizza and Ranch flavored Doritoes, (eww!!!) and Hot and Spicy Fries to name a few. My all time favorite are the Shrimp chips. I literally gag from the smell of them when I open the bag. I try to think of reasons not to serve them. For example, I had one child this year who was allergic to crab and I told the kids we couldn't eat them because they were part of the seafood family. Another teacher told me I better get used to the smell of them because they will be served as snacks all over Hong Kong.

As I walk around the room passing out the chips the kids wait patiently for their "handful" of each kind. Sometimes this handful includes a meager 5 chips but I never get complaints. After the chips are passed out I pass out ziplock baggies to take home the leftovers. I watch closely as each child carefully transports every single crumb from their napkin into the the baggie. Half the kids don't eat a single chip during the party. They are so proud of their chip baggie that they want to bring it home to show their siblings.

The day after a chip party, I once again see those same ziplock chip baggies. They are back for round two! The children bring them back to school with a few of the chips missing. They know there is a good chance that there are leftovers from the massive amount of chip bags they saw the previous day. Who knew that making twenty six kids happy at the end of a school year was as simple as a bag of fancy chips!

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to call you Mr. Bumble. I can't believe your kids are trained to not complain over 5 chips!! Where is your Oliver Twist?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, I love how you started your story with sound effects =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leave those delicious shrimp chips alone! They are so popular that they come in a new and improved spicy shrimp flavor. I'll get them for you next time i see you.. Wahhh

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay WHY didn't you share this idea with me?? I threw them an ice cream party. A chip party would have spared me a 7am run to pathmark. I am doing this it's all about the chips...who knew!!! @Andrea no to shrimp chips

    ReplyDelete