"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Chinese philosopher Laozi

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Hong Kong Numbers Game




As many of you know, math has never been my strong suit. Whether figuring out how much something costs when it's 25% off to splitting a dinner bill 4 different ways with friends, I'm never the one to ask for a quick response. I always counted on the smarter friend to crunch the numbers for me. Do you think it's a coincidence that the man I chose to marry was a math major?

When I first started teaching I landed a position teaching first graders in Chinatown. On the first day of school my dad jokingly said to me "Good luck with your first day of teaching. I hope you can handle that first grade math!" That year was filled will shapes, and adding and subtracting using pictures. All of which I could handle. The following year I was promoted to the 2nd grade. My dad once again joked with me about the 2nd grade math curriculum being even harder. Although I have to admit I had some very strong math students the 4 years I taught 2nd grade, teaching the math was no problem for me. This past year I was promoted to the 3rd grade. When I told my dad the news he laughed, "This year the students really might be quicker than you in math." Sadly, he may have been right.

Most of the challenges I've had over the past few days have had to do with numbers.

1. The weather is in Celsius. Celsius means nothing to me. I'm told you have to divide by 5 multiply by 9 and then add 32. That is so not worth my time. Most likely the weather is just going to be hot with 100 percent humidity anyway so what's the point in figuring it all out.

2. After 12:59 p.m comes 13:00. Well im ok with this because I know that 13 come after twelve making that 1:00p.m. but by the time it turns 21:00 I find myself counting up on my fingers like I did in grade school. Maybe getting a digital alarm clock wasn't such a good idea.

3. The conversion between the American Dollar and the Hong Kong dollar is giving me nightmares. You actually have to divide by 7.75 to figure out how much the price is equal to in American dollars. D had to make me a cheat sheet which I walk around with in my hands ALL day. The store owners punch numbers into calculators to tell me the cost of something then I have to look at my cheat sheet and then punch in my own numbers to figure out the amount in American dollars. The vendors must think I'm crazy because I can't add a few numbers in my head. D starts work on Monday. Thankfully he will be getting paid in Hong Kong dollars so I can stop worrying about the conversions of everything.

Thank goodness the time difference is 12 hours between here and the US, switching AM to PM is something even I can handle!

10 comments:

  1. Very very cute. This 2 year adventure is going to give you the opportunity to bone up on all sorts of skills.

    Get Dan to tutor you in math once a week. It might come in handy as you one day do math homework with your own kids.

    Have you seen anyone use an abacus in HK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. weather.com 10 day Hong Kong forecast for you in °F.

    Friday July 16 - 85° F
    Saturday July 17 - 84° F
    Sunday July 18 - 84°F
    Monday July 19 - 85° F
    Tuesday July 20 - 86° F
    Wednesday July 21 - 86° F
    Thursday July 22 - 86°F
    Friday July 23 - 87° F
    Saturday July 24 - 87° F
    Sunday July 25 - 87° F

    60% chance of scattered T-storms for all 10 days and will feel like 95°F - 100°F with the humidity.

    As much as it pains me to say, you should have just moved to Canada. Weather is much nicer in the summer and the dollar exchange is basically one to one. Shopping would have been much easier...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Jason's comment.

    And our economy is pretty stable

    Doesn't GS have a Toronto office? Not as pretty and friendly a city as Montreal--but no language concerns for Marisa. Menus are always in English

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marisa, I love keeping up with your blog! It is great :)Hopefully Joe can get GS to make him take a trip to HK so we can come see you!!

    Jason, even though I don't know you, if I ever start a blog I am adding you to my list :) You are such a problem solver!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What some of your readers don't know is that a cucumber costs $3.60. So, it's not just converting the numbers, it's getting over the shock of the result!!! So proud of the way you two are acclimating to everything. Sending you love and positive thoughts..Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate math too!! I love reading your updates, Marisa! I can totally picture you walking in the crowded streets/stores with that cheat sheet! XOXO LOVE IT ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always make a cheat sheet for myself when I travel. It takes the pressure off when negotiating.

    Keep sending your adventures.

    Aunt Bayla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blogs!!! I can totally relate to your math skills or lack thereof. It sounds as though you are doing just what you need to to adjust... keep up the good work. Time will make everything less uncomfortable. Keep the updates coming.
    xoxo Lois

    ReplyDelete
  9. So that's why you made me teach all of the math lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Speaking of numbers, I need your digits "Mith O"!!!

    ReplyDelete