"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Chinese philosopher Laozi

Monday, July 19, 2010

Cheat sheets...don't leave home without them


My first solo shopping experience proved to be an expensive one...

Today was D's first day of work so I decided to check out the mall we are currently living on top of. It was filled with extremely high end shops like Gucci, Prada, Channel, Dior just to name a few. I can't really think of a mall back home that you could compare it to. The Short Hills Mall actually has a few shops that people could afford to buy things in. This mall, not so much. You would be surprised how many women were in these stores actually making purchases. I was told that the "housewives" of Hong Kong love to lunch and shop. To me, shopping means browsing the stores and maybe purchasing something every now and then. To some of these ladies, it means carrying home several shopping bags on each arm.

July is "sale" month here in Hong Kong, as the stores are getting rid of the spring/summer merchandise to make room for the fall/winter collections. Even with the sale sign in every window, I had a hard time digesting the prices. Well I guess it was hard because I went out without the cheat sheet D created for me!

Nothing I touched was under $2000 Hong Kong. That number is just daunting. I know in American dollars it is $258.06 but I still get thrown off seeing such a high number! I stepped into a department store here called Lane Crawford. I guess it would be similar to a Saks in the states. I only allowed myself to look at the sales shoes on the first floor. EXPENSIVE MISTAKE!

Of course I found a pair I loved, had a hard time converting the thousands to hundreds, didn't have my cheat sheet, and now I'm the owner of a pair of Elizabeth and James black heels. From now on anytime you see me I will be wearing these heels to justify the purchase. Just don't ask me how much they cost in US dollars!

15 comments:

  1. photos please!

    also, "Gucci, Prada, Channel, Dior just to name a few" sounds like part of a rap song. you should rap about shopping in china.

    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you get RID of a pair of shoes after you brought home your new ones? out with the old, in with the new? :) xoxo happy shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ris, I think it might get expensive for you to bring back everyone gifts from Lane Crawford. I thought I might help you and D save some money by recommending LUOHU COMMERCIAL CITY in Shenzhen to get all your friends and family gifts!

    Luohu Commercial City is notorious in Hong Kong for its bargains, and many "one-day" visitors from Hong Kong venture no further into Shenzhen than the mall. Most of the items for sale in the mall are either counterfeit or cheap Chinese replicas of designer brands, and the mall has a reputation for selling low-quality goods through high-pressure bargain tactics.

    All the big labels are represented, but prices vary dramatically, so make sure to shop around. Goods are divided into A, B, and C grades, depending on the standard of reproduction; A grades are the best and usually kept hidden -- so you will have to ask to see them.

    I think it will be ok for you to get everyone else C grade items but I expect you to buy me an A grade since I tipped you off to this.

    I should warn you however, the mall is known to be a center for illegal activities. The one big scam there is the infamous "teeth cleaning" scam. Customers seeking cheap teeth cleanings will have their teeth cleaned in a painful manner by muscular men in white clinical coats. When the customer complains, they are given three choices: stop the treatment and pay the full price, continue with the treatment until the end or "upgrade" to a more expensive teeth cleaning service. Cases of customers refusing to upgrade are uncommon...

    So make sure to bring Hong Kong dollars and your cheat sheet, as there are no ATMs, and credit cards are not accepted. Also, I know Dan has been working out with the trainer, but I would probably go there with someone a little bigger for protection (especially if you are going to get your teeth cleaned). I look forward to my A grade quality Chinese replica gift for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you can't go around HK barefoot so I think that was a wise choice. :). Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Jason may be somewhat confused (but very smart and funny). Sounds like he was describing Canal Street in NY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love the blog and comments, but Dad thinks Jason has far too much free time at work. Carol wants you to wear the shoes to Avi's wedding. Gary is busy eating Manny's dog food and can not comment on expensive purchases. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone's comments are hysterical! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan will appreciate this tip: if you cross a bridge at the end of PP over to another mall called QUEENSWAY, you'll find that 3 digit price tags are more of a regularity =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it. U have to get us something for the
    wedding. Very hong kongish! Can't wait to c
    u, talked to the parents yesterday. Dad played
    golf with Gary today, I'm sure loads of fun.
    Gary always wears white Capri pants n pink
    shirts to the golf course, very Italian sheek. I'm
    told he uses pink golf balls too??? Who knew??
    I hope getting around gets easier n figuring
    out the exchange rate becomes second nature,
    or else dan will need to get a second job
    at Mickey D's. Xoxo

    ur beloved cuz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marisa - I hope these fall into the category of shoes you deem uncomfortable after one use and then give to me!!! (oops didn't mean to tell Dan about that...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ris,
    No worries, you can wear black heels absolutely everywhere for absolutely any occasion. If you were going to splurge this was a good choice; enjoy them.

    Meanwhile, Jason is like an Information Please Almanac! He missed his calling as a travel guide.

    xo L

    ReplyDelete
  13. I second Carol's suggestion that you wear the shoes to Avi and Jamie's wedding so we can all appraise them. Perhaps, though, you'll need a dress from Lane Crawford to go with them?

    (Note that this is Stacy not Michael. I can't figure out this comment profile thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't feel bad about your purchase. You can share them with Benny!

    P.s. Jason needs a blog of his own. I'd follow it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy Crap! You live in Central?!?!
    That's the only shopping I did when I went to HK. The place is way too expensive but it's super nice. Don't you love the architecture of the Lane Crawford store? Yabu Pushelberg designed it. I know, I just geeked out.

    ReplyDelete