"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Chinese philosopher Laozi

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Hong Konukkah



Last night I had my first real dinner party here in Hong Kong. Even though Hanukkah has come and passed this year, I thought it would be fun to have some friends over for a holiday feast. Knowing that it would be difficult to obtain any Hanukkah related paraphernalia here in Hong Kong, I did a lot of pre-shopping when I was home in the states. I got everything from dreidels to menorah cookies cutters to decorations.

As many of you know I am a novice when it comes to cooking. I have no problem following a recipe but I just don't get any satisfaction in standing on my feet in a cramped kitchen slaving over food that I don't really enjoy eating anyway! I figured I would give it a shot. How hard could it be to cook a meal for 8?



The hardest task was learning how to use the old style oven in my apartment. I still couldn't explain how it works or even how to turn it on. As you know temperature here is measured in Celsius so once again I had to put my expert mathematical skills to work in converting each recipe from Fahrenheit to Celsius. Thankfully there's an app for that!

The oven is the size of a small child. You can really only fit one tray of food in there at a time, so your timing of each dish has to be perfect. Thankfully, my wonderful mom helped me create a time line to ensure that all the food would be cooked and still hot when served. After a few reheats, everything was just that!

Food shopping in Hong Kong can be a real schlep. I was able to get everything I needed (except peanut butter chips) but it took stops at 5 different grocery stores to get all the ingredients (not to mention the 4 trips I sent D on after I thought I had all the ingredients I needed!)

Well all that hard work paid off for the dinner party was a total success. Friends left with full stomachs and doggies bags of food to enjoy during the upcoming week. I had pulled of a multi course gourmet and had 7 happy customers. Well at least no one has called yet to tell me they were up all night with food poisoning!

Sweet Potato Latkes


Salmon, Veggies, Couscous



Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Cookies and Haystacks

6 comments:

  1. can you do all that for dinner club next time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm....I guess that's how jewish parents trick their kids to eating more latkes.....make them look like haystacks.

    ReplyDelete