"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Chinese philosopher Laozi

Friday, November 12, 2010

Another serving please!


Vegetables have always been a big part of my life. Growing up, my mom always made at least one or two veggie sides with every meal. In grade school, we learned the importance of eating several servings of fruits and vegetables each day. When dining with my girlfriends in college, salads were usually the most frequently ordered item off the menu. (ok this doesn't apply to ALL of my girlfriends!) I have to admit, I really like the taste of most fruits and vegetables...the problem is they don't like me!

I have always struggled with trying to maintain a balanced diet. I have the carbohydrate and protein area covered, but that's about it! Fruits and veggies have always been hard for me to stomach. One of my goals that I set for myself when moving to Hong Kong was to try some of the local fruits and vegetables.


One afternoon, I walked down to the Wan Chai market and was amazed by the variety of fruits and vegetables that sat before my eyes. There were stalls and stalls of green leaves and other Chinese vegetables I had never seen before. There was Bok Choy, different kinds of Chinese flowering cabbages, bamboo shoots, fungus, bean sprouts, and radishes. (none of which I would eat, but are served in many of the dishes I order!)

As I ventured further into the market, I came across the fruit section. My nose led me straight to a very strange smelling and looking fruit called a Dorian, a round fruit covered in hard spikes. I'm not sure what the fruit tasted like, but the smell was extremely overpowering. The man at the stand asked me if I wanted to try some but I was too turned off by the odor.





There was a large selection of other fruits which I did sample and bring home for D to eat. They had everything from sweet ripe mango and crispy Asian pear (D's favorite) to hairy melon, which can be described actually as it sounds.


Each week I plan on trying a new fruit or vegetable. With all of these choices at prices that won't break the bank, I guess it would be silly not to have another serving!




4 comments:

  1. You're being true to the Chinese proverb that is at the head of your blog " a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". Stepping into the wonderful world of fruits and veggies with a single step a week sounds like a marvelous way to explore new foods gently on your gentle system.

    Are fruit preferences determined by our genes? Minnow's favourite is also a crispy Asian pear. The crispier the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Durian tastes like custard to me, but the smell is hard to take!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The taste of durian is surprisingly pleasant but the really strong odor is very tough to get past. The inside of the fruit is soft and sweet and does not taste like it smells at all. I think that Leana's comparison to custard is a good one.

    ReplyDelete