"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Chinese philosopher Laozi

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Falling Back

View from our NYC Hotel Room


Fall in New York...Fantastic

I've spent the past week wandering aimlessly around the city. I admired the leaves changing colors and falling off the tress in Central Park. I hit up my favorite department stores, (thanks D!) restaurants, and spent time with my favorite people...well most of them!

For the first time in 4 months, I've pulled on my skinny jeans (not as easy a task as last year) and boots. I wrapped myself in my cozy wool sweater and took my down puffy jacket out of the cedar closet. Several friends have commented on the fact that I'm overdressed for November but I couldn't be more comfy in my Uggs and cashmere scarf.

When I left Hong Kong a few weeks ago, we were all still wearing sundresses and open toe shoes. Our air conditioners were running all day and night, and D couldn't make it home from work without sweating through his shirt. I was ready for a change...in season.

One of my favorite things about the fall is the brunch food! I love pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes, and pumpkin bread (which we all know is really cake!) On this glorious, crisp, Sunday morning, while many of my friends were running in the NYC Marathon, my brother, sister-in-law, and I ventured out for some brunch.


Since my brother was worried that I was eating too much Chinese food, and not getting the opportunity to enjoy my favorite fall foods, he decided to plan a special breakfast for me. As we arrived in the Jazz room of Blue Water Grill I noticed we were the only three diners. I asked "Where is everyone? It's 11:30 am!." "Oh I rented out the room for you," said J. Just then a three piece Jazz Ensemble started playing a private concert. We ordered Banana Foster French Toast, Omelets, Cranberry Pumpkin Pancakes, and Hot Chocolate.


My brother thought I might still be feeling a little out of place, so he tried to make me feel more at home and ordered me an omelet with 4 egg yolks. He said it was his way of making up for not sending me a moon cake during the Mid Autumn festival. Unfortunately though, he did not get a discount for waiting until after the festival like I did in Hong Kong. Thanks J!

Throughout the meal I couldn't believe we had the entire jazz room to ourselves. I was thinking the whole time it was crazy that my brother had done this. However, as we got up to leave I noticed people starting to fill the tables. I asked, "Did you really rent out the room or is everyone eating late today?" My brother said, "No its still early, it's only 11:45am." I looked down at my watch and realized I hadn't changed it overnight for day lights saving. I had failed to "fall back".


3 comments:

  1. you're a lucky gal Fishman! :) High five to your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Echoing benedicta...you're a lucky gal Fishman,
    and the Fishmans are lucky to call you one of theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Murray and I went out for brunch yesterday too. Luckily we made the reservation for noon (new time)as we like to laze around Sunday morning. We had seats by the window onto the golf course. I love beautiful fall days.

    ReplyDelete