"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Chinese philosopher Laozi

Thursday, November 25, 2010

A time of thanks...



Each year during the week of Thanksgiving, I would read the poem below with my class. We would sit in a circle and discuss all the things we were thankful for in our lives. The responses of the students were always so touching. I've heard everything from "I'm thankful for my Pokemon cards" to "I'm thankful there is enough rice for my whole family to eat for dinner." One student even told me that the poem I shared with her made her thankful for everything she had in her life!

Thanksgiving Delights
by Joanna Fuchs

On Thanksgiving Day we’re thankful for
Our blessings all year through,
For family we dearly love,
For good friends, old and new.

For sun to light and warm our days,
For stars that glow at night,
For trees of green and skies of blue,
And puffy clouds of white.

We’re grateful for our eyes that see
The beauty all around,
For arms to hug, and legs to walk,
And ears to hear each sound.

The list of all we’re grateful for
Would fill a great big book;
Our thankful hearts find new delights
Everywhere we look!

This year, like every other, I have a lot to be thankful for. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with family, friends, and food! I'm very lucky to be spending the holiday in the US with my family and friends (minus my wonderful husband, but since he's Canadian, he doesn't celebrate this holiday anyway!)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Marisa, for sharing this special poem. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and please extend my wishes to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you a poem catcher? catching poems?

    poem catcher...catchin' poems...

    this year im thankful for funny blogs by my bestie!

    jc

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all thankful for the gifts of family and friends.
    xoxo L

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete