"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Chinese philosopher Laozi

Monday, November 1, 2010

You're WELLCOME


One of the first things I did when I arrived in Hong Kong was check out the local supermarkets. Just like in NYC, you have your different tiers of markets. There are markets like 360, City-Super, and Great, which can be compared to a Whole Foods. This is where I spend most of my time…and my money. If you think Whole Foods is expensive, you don’t even want to know what I pay for an avocado in Hong Kong.

One tier lower you have your Park and Shop which would be similar to your Gristedes or Food Emporium. This is a good place to go for basics like yogurt, cheese, and canned goods. And on an even lower tier, we have the grocery store called WELLCOME.

WELLCOME stores can be found all over the city so I thought I would check one out to see what they had to offer. I was hoping to find an avocado that cost less the 2 USD but I found a little more than just that!

D was tired from a long day of exploring but I made him come inside with me to check it out. Upon entering the store, there was a strange odor which immediately turned me off from wanting to shop there. Like most people, I am very particular about the freshness of my food…ok I’m actually neurotic about it. I won’t eat anything that’s even approaching a sell by date and I hate leftovers.

As I made my way down an aisle, the stench was getting stronger. I said to D, “what is that horrific smell?” As I turned around the corner I saw a sight that made my stomach churn. The butcher had just slaughtered a pig in the middle of the grocery store! People were lining up for bloody pieces of pork. D is usually not fazed by this type of thing, but the sight and smell were so grotesque that he actually needed to leave the vicinity. I of course, needed to have closer look.

As I exited that store, amazed by what I had just witnessed, D said to me “thanks for making me go in there”. I smiled and said the obvious thing to say in that situation...”You’re WELLCOME”.

6 comments:

  1. ahhhhhhhh-i don't even know what to say to this picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more worried about that exposed mop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY G-D!!!! And I saw things like that on the farm, but now I would get grossed out too! And by the way honey, I don't like leftovers either. You and I are so much alike, you must have my genes in you! Also we are both married to the same kind of guy: sweet, compassionate, agreeable and very very patient! Love aunt sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. You left one of the best supermarkets in Hong Kong off your list: Market Place by Jasons. It is the sister company of Wellcome, but more high end because it's by Jason. Since you learned early on in life that Jason knows best, I would just shop there.

    However, in case you find yourself back at the lower tier supermarket, I signed you and D up for a Hang Seng enJoy Card. You get 5% off at the store when you shop on the 3rd, 13th and 23rd of every month. enJoy and You're Wellcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're hysterical. I almost forgot about your food expiration paranoia. Judy always tells me if my good is OK at lunch, but I don't know how trustworthy she is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so funny - im more worried about the mop too. its like vinny and i are from the same family of paranoia.

    ReplyDelete